We are through the first week and I have assembled my first set of random thoughts about the Cubs and MLB in general.
* I’m ready for Ben Sheets to hurt something already. It’s bound to happen and it needs to go ahead and happen. When he goes down, it takes the wind out of the sails of the Brewers. They don’t need an opportunity to build more confidence and stick around. Wishing injury might seem cruel but I had to sit through the Mark Prior era in Chicago.
* Will somebody please go tell Todd Wellemeyer that he is Todd Wellemeyer. Enough already about the Cardinals rotation. Give it a couple of times through and people will be pounding these guys, especially Wellemeyer.
* How bout those Tigers. There’s a surprise. Didn’t see that coming at all. They will get it together.
* Somebody get Ankiel a cup and a testing room. Time to go #1 there Rick.
* All this Brian Roberts Spring talk for the Cubs and I still think shortstop should have been the area of focus. I’m watching Ronny Cedeno play there today. That’s not a good sign.
* If you were pitching to the Cubs, would you throw Soriano a strike? Me neither. You don’t have to.
* If the Red Sox struggle for a while, what’s the bet the Japan games get eliminated? We will hear that excuse for months.
* Had Luis Rivas been in the Witness Protection plan or something? I haven’t seen him in years. He disappeared from Minnesota and all the sudden is in Pittsburgh. Who else is back, Mickey Morandini?